Philippine Airlines has improved its cancellation policy in response to the COVID-19 outbreak, doing away with cancellation fees for flights that are affected. Here, we provide all of the options available to you, along with an explanation of how to use them. You have the right to cancel your flight and get a refund without paying any cancellation costs if it is cancelled or affected by a travel ban. Other options include rebooking your flight for a later date or having your airline ticket converted into a travel voucher.
If a travel ban causes your flight to be delayed, you can cancel your ticket and get a refund (less the Ticket Service Charge, of course). The TSC is not refundable for tickets that are partially or fully used. However, it is refundable for unused domestic tickets. Suppose your flight is unaffected by a travel ban. You may cancel during the ticket’s validity term if you follow the fare regulations. You must cancel your flight reservation at least 24 hours before departure to avoid paying a no-show fee.
Philippine Airlines Cancellation Policy and Cancellation Fee
Travellers who possess airline tickets for foreign destinations can cancel their bookings and obtain a reimbursement as long as they do so at least twenty-four hours before the scheduled departure. Effective February 1, 2022, the following tables explain the details of Philippine Airlines’ cancellation policy and the corresponding flight cancellation fees for domestic and international flights.
Philippine Airlines Cancellation Fee—International Tickets Effective
|Refund At least 24 hours before departure
|Totally unused—refundable with a fee.
Partly used—non- refundable
|Refundable without any fee
|Refundable with fee
|Totally unused—refundable with a fee
Partially used: Non-refundable
|Refundable without fee
Philippine Airlines Cancellation Fee—Domestic Tickets Effective
|Refund per SectorAt least 24 hours before departure
|Cancellation fee—PHP 2,300
|Cancellation fee—PHP 2,000
|Refundable without any fee
|Cancellation fee—PHP 1,100
|Cancellation fee—PHP 1,200
|Refundable without fee
Philippine Airlines Cancellation Policy | Refund Policy Under Normal Conditions
The Philippine Airlines cancellation and refund policy under normal (non-COVID) circumstances depends on the kind of ticket you purchased, as shown in the table below. All flex fares, including Business and Economy prices, are fully refundable. Specific prices, like Business Value, Premium Economy, and Economy Saver, have a partial return policy that changes depending on the itinerary. However, some fares—such as Business Value, Economy Supersaver, Economy Saver, and Premium Economy—are not refundable for portions of the journey.
Philippine Airlines Cancellation and Refund Policy by Fare Type
|The following fares can be cancelled and fully refunded: Economy FlexBusiness Flex
|The following fares are subject to a cancellation fee if totally unused: Economy Saver Premium Economy Business Value
|Following fares are non-refundable: Economy Supersaver
Economy Saver—if partially used premium
Economy—if partially used
Business Value—if partially used
Philippine Airlines 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
You can cancel a Philippine Airlines reservation from or to the United States within 24 hours without being charged if you make the reservation at least 7 days before departure. Your reservation will be fully refunded in this scenario, no questions asked.
It’s crucial to remember that Philippine Airlines’ 24-hour cancellation policy applies to all flight ticket categories to and from the US. Please see the section below under “How to Cancel My Booking on Philippine Airlines?” for detailed instructions on cancelling your flight and starting your refund.
Philippine Airlines Cancelled Flight Policy
You have two choices in case your flight is cancelled by Philippine Airlines:
- Accept the complimentary replacement flight that was offered.
- Reject the suggested replacement flight and ask for a refund instead.
Cancellation Fee at Philippine Airlines
If any travel waivers do not cover your journey, the cancellation cost levied by Philippine Airlines for partially used and unused tickets depends on your route and tariff class. The table that follows provides specific details.
|Cancellation Fee at Philippine Airlines (if no travel waiver applies to your ticket)
|USA – Philippines UnusedPartially Used
USD 250USD 100
|Canada – Philippines UnusedPartially Used
CAD 250CAD 100
|London – PhilippinesUnusedPartially Used
GBP 100GBP 100
GBP 100GBP 100
|Australia – Philippines UnusedPartially Used
AUD 35AUD 95
AUD 35AUD 95
AUD 65AUD 100
|Auckland – Philippines UnusedPartially Used
NZD 70NZD 105
NZD 35NZD 105
NZD 70NZD 100
How Can I Cancel My Flight on Philippine Airlines?
The procedure for receiving a refund for a cancelled Philippine Airlines flight differs depending on your payment method, such as cash, debit/credit card, PayPal, GCash, WeChat, Alipay, etc.
If you paid in cash and seek a refund:
- Suppose the cash payment was made at a PAL Ticket Office. In that case, you can start the cancellation and refund process by going to the PAL Ticket Office or calling the helpdesk, which is available 24/7.
- Suppose you paid with cash at a Payment Center. In that case, you can use the Reservations Hotline number, the PAL Ticket Office, or a phone call to cancel the ticket and get a refund.
If you would like a refund and pay with a debit or credit card:
Refunds can be processed in a few different ways for payments made with debit or credit cards issued by Visa, American Express, JCB, or Mastercard:
- Submittal via the myPAL Request Hub online form.
- Getting in touch with the Reservations Hotline.
- The card used to make the purchase will be credited with the refund minus any applicable cancellation fees.
If you want a refund but made your payment using a different method:
- You can cancel your ticket and start the refund online using the myPAL Request Hub form if you paid with PayPal, Alipay, WeChat, or GCash.
- I am getting in touch with the Reservations Hotline.
- The Reservations Hotline or the online myPAL Request Hub can process cancellations and refunds for alternative payment alternatives such as 2C2P in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, or Singapore. It’s crucial to remember that a PAL representative may contact you to request more information, including your bank account number.
Voluntary Cancellations on Philippine Airlines
A voluntary cancellation is when you cancel a flight unaffected by a travel prohibition; Philippine Airlines has standards for these situations.
- Voluntary Cancellation of Fully Refundable Prices: Only Economy Flex and Business Flex prices are eligible for a full refund if your flight is cancelled voluntarily and has not been blocked from departure.
- Voluntary Cancellation of Partially Refundable Fares: A cancellation fee will be applied to some fares, with the remaining balance returned. It only applies if your ticket is not used at all. This group includes Economy Saver, Premium Economy, and Business Value. However, you will not be eligible for a partial or complete refund if any part of these tickets has been used.
- Voluntary Cancellation of Non-refundable Fares: Supersaver fares are not subject to voluntary cancellations, nor are refunds available.
Philippine Airlines Flight Cancellation Rules
It is necessary that you cancel your flight reservation and begin the refund process before the deadlines; otherwise, your reservation will be considered a no-show, and you will be charged accordingly. If cancelling online is not possible or desired, there are other options, such as:
- Phone or Local PAL Office: You can cancel your reservation by calling the assigned hotline or going to a local PAL office.
- PAL Ticket Office: For your convenience, cancellations can be handled at a PAL Ticket Office.
- Sending an email: If you prefer, you can cancel by emailing email@example.com.
If the ticket was purchased through a travel agency, all modifications or cancellations must be made directly with the agency. While cash or check transactions can take up to 20 business days, credit card refunds are typically completed within 7 business days.
How do I cancel my booking on Philippine Airlines?
You have three options for cancelling your ticket and getting a refund if you purchased it from a different source, such as the PAL website, mobile app, Reservations Hotline, or a ticket office:
- Online through myPAL Request Hub: To handle your refund and cancellation, go to the PAL website’s myPAL Request Hub.
- PAL Reservations Hotline Calls: As an alternative, you can start the cancellation and refund process by calling the PAL Reservations Hotline.
- Through a PAL Ticket Office: To complete the cancellation and refund procedure, go to a PAL Ticket Office in person.
If, on the other hand, you purchased your ticket via a third party—a travel agency, an internet agent, or another airline—and you would like to modify or cancel, you must contact them directly.
How do you cancel your Philippine Airlines booking and request a refund online?
You can use the web platform to cancel and get a refund if you bought your Philippine Airlines ticket directly from the airline. For a smooth cancellation procedure, adhere to the detailed instructions provided below:
- Visit myPAL Request Hub:
- Access the myPAL Request Hub on the official airline website.
- Enter Required Information: Provide essential details, including:
- Passenger name (last, first, and middle name as per the booking)
- Ticket number
- Email address
- Contact number
- Citizenship (selected from the dropdown menu)
- Departure airport
- Date of birth
- Indication of Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) status
- Choose an Option: Select one of the following options:
- Rebook: to reschedule your flight
- Travel Voucher: to convert the ticket value into a travel voucher
- Refund: to apply for a refund
- Follow Onscreen Prompts: Navigate through the onscreen prompts to:
- Rebook your flight
- Obtain your travel voucher
- Request a refund
- Enter Address Details:
Provide your residence and destination addresses.
- Complete the Form:
Fill out the remaining 18-page form.
Hit the submit button to finalise the cancellation process.
You should get an email confirming your completion of the online process in five to seven business days, if not sooner. The letter will provide associated payment instructions if more payments are required.
How to Rebook a Cancelled Flight on Philippine Airlines?
Rebooking a Philippine Airlines cancelled flight provides several easy options:
- Online via Manage My Booking: To rebook your ticket, go to the airline’s website and select the Manage My Booking option. Suppose your ticket was purchased after February 1, 2022. In that case, you will be able to make many modifications for free as long as you do so at least 24 hours before the departure of your flight. It is necessary to pay any appropriate fare difference.
- Online via the Self Re-accommodation Form: Use the Self Re-accommodation form to make any unplanned modifications to your flight. You won’t be charged for rebooking or for any fare discrepancies in such circumstances.
- At a PAL Ticket Office: If you need help rebooking, stop by a PAL Ticket office.
- By Phone: To make a new reservation, call the PAL Reservation Hotline at 1-844-933-2065 or call travel agency +1-866-217-1292.
- Through Your Travel Agent: Work with your travel agent to make rebooking easier if you booked through one.
Philippine Airlines Cancelled Flight Compensation
Should your Philippine Airlines flight be cancelled and it is scheduled to depart from an airport located in the European Union, you will be entitled to the following rights:
- Reimbursement and Return Flight: You have the right to seek reimbursement for your ticket cost and a return flight to your departure airport in case of connecting flights. The compensation may be given in cash or as a travel voucher, depending on your request.
- Rerouting Option: You can ask for a different route to your target city for no additional cost. Depending on your preferences, this can be scheduled as soon as possible or at a later time that works for you.
- Return to position of Origin: You can return to your starting position at no extra expense.
In addition, you are entitled to food, drinks, lodging (should your new flight depart the next day), round-trip transportation from the airport to the hotel, and two phone calls, emails, or fax messages. The purpose of these measures is to make dealing with airline cancellations easier.
Cancelled Flight Compensation
You possess the entitlement to compensation if Philippine Airlines notified you of the cancellation less than 14 days before the scheduled departure date. It’s crucial to note, however, that compensation is not applicable in cases where the cancellation resulted from unavoidable extraordinary circumstances, such as adverse weather conditions, security risks, political decisions, or air traffic management determinations.
Amount of Compensation
The following is the structure of compensation amounts for cancelled flights:
- EUR 250 in the event of a flight up to 1,500 kilometres.
- If the flying distance inside the EU is more than 1,500 kilometres, EUR 400.
- EUR 400 if all other flights have a distance between 1,500 and 3,500 km.
- EUR 600 if the flight path goes beyond 3,500 kilometres.
Nevertheless, a few exclusions preclude being eligible for reimbursement, such as:
- Prior Notice Notification:
You will only be reimbursed if you are notified of the cancellation at least 14 days in advance.
- A Different Flight Was Offered 7–14 Days Ahead:
No reimbursement is required if you are notified of the flight cancellation between seven and fourteen days before departure and are given a substitute flight that leaves no later than two hours before the original flight’s scheduled departure time and lands at the final destination no later than four hours after the original flight’s scheduled arrival time.
- A Different Flight Was Offered Less than Seven Days Ahead:
No compensation will be provided if you learn of the cancellation less than seven days in advance of the original flight’s scheduled departure time and are given the option to transfer to an alternate flight that leaves one hour early and reaches your final destination two hours after the original flight’s scheduled arrival time.
Reduction in Compensation
A 50% reduction in your compensation will apply if Philippine Airlines offers an alternate flight that lands at your ultimate destination two to four hours later.
Philippine Airlines Delayed Flight Compensation
You are entitled to reimbursement if your Philippine Airlines aircraft departing from an airport in the European Union is delayed for three hours or longer, and the delay isn’t due to unusual circumstances. Depending on how far the flight is from its origin, the compensation can be anywhere between 250 and 600 euros.
|Less than 1,500 km
|More than 1,500 km in the EU1,500 – 3,500 km for other flights
|More than 3,500 km
When do I qualify for delayed flight compensation?
In the event that one of the following applies to your delayed flight, you are entitled to compensation:
- If, due to no unusual circumstances, your flight from an EU airport arrives at your final destination three hours or more behind schedule.
- If you miss a connecting flight when flying within or outside the EU on a flight that leaves from an EU airport and arrives at your destination three hours or longer later than expected. It’s crucial to remember that if you are to blame for the missed connection, you will not be compensated.
- In the event that you choose a different flight that arrives at a different airport but is delay. You also have the right to reimbursement for transportation from the alternate airport to the one mentioned on your original ticket.
Philippine Airlines and FlightsAssistance.com work together smoothly to give customers a thorough grasp of the airline’s cancellation policy. Travelers who use the platform can learn much about Philippine Airlines’ eligibility requirements, refund policies, and cancellation procedures. A great resource is FlightAssistance.com, which provides:
- Concise explanations and detailed instructions on cancelling a flight.
- Getting a refund.
- Working through the airline’s rebooking procedures.
Through this partnership, Philippine Airlines can guarantee that travellers have access to the information they need to plan their travels wisely and comply with its regulations.