Everything You Need To Know About United Airlines Cancellation Policy
United Airlines Cancellation Policy: Consider that you are flying or have Booked United Airlines ticket, but at the last moment, there is a change in your travel plan. Is your hard-earned money lost? Are you eligible to get your money back from the flight carrier? What process to follow to get your money back? Below is all the information you need to know about United Airlines’ refund policy and learn which policies apply to your situation.
Well, this article will help you answer all your questions. At flightsassistance.com, we ensure that customers find the most suitable flight plan and flight booking. If you want to change or cancel your United Airlines flight, the carrier provides an n-number of features.
According to United Airlines Cancellation Policy, passengers may request to cancel their flight up to three hours before the scheduled departure time and up to two hours before their flight’s departure for flights within the United States. You should be aware of some guidelines before making a cancellation request –
- Cancellation requests are subject to airline penalties. It may vary depending on class and fare rules associated with the booking.
- Due to united fully refundable tickets policy, you can not get a refund for Basic Economy reservations or change within 24 hours of purchase.
- The total booking value may be forfeited if a passenger does not attend the flight.
- Airlines waive cancellation fees if a passenger, companion, or immediate family dies. Refunds apply to unused/unlighted flight segments.
Customer Support Number; +1-800-504-6979
United Airlines Cancellation Policy for COVID
As per united airlines covid cancellation policy if your travel plans have been impacted by COVID-19, you may be allowed to cancel your flight and get a refund—or postpone your trip—without being charged a fee.
Subject to United Airlines COVID cancellation policy, travel requirements for COVID-19 may change rapidly. Please check the travel requirements and restrictions for your specific itinerary considering the following points:
- You can not board if your local government or public health authority orders you to self-isolate or quarantine.
- If you are denied boarding on a flight within the United States, the airline will rebook your flight at least 14 days later at no extra charge.
- Passengers will not be allowed to board international flights and will not get a rebooking.
- You will need a valid medical certificate stating that you are free of the COVID-19 virus for travel.
- Due to the COVID cancellation policy at United, you will need a vaccination certificate for international travel.
- If you have symptoms of COVID-19 or are sick, you will not be allowed to board the flight.
- Passengers with illnesses or symptoms similar to COVID-19 must have a health declaration, medical certificate or certificate for smooth travel.
- Passengers over the age of 2 must wear a non-medical mask or face covering that covers the nose, mouth and chin when entering or exiting the United States. Failure to comply will result in denial of boarding, disembarkation from the aircraft and penalties under US federal law.
United Airlines 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
United Airlines Cancellation Policy 24-hours is similar to 24 Hour Cancellation Policy. If the ticket is purchased seven days before departure, you can change the reservation free of charge within 24 hours from the original reservation. This policy applies to all tickets except Basic Economy.
United Airlines cancellation policy does not allow the cancellation of Basic Economy tickets, even within 24 hours. The best option is to cancel within 24 hours (free of charge) and purchase a new ticket.
Alternatively, you may choose to cancel your ticket and receive flight credit at the following cancellation charges:
- USD 49.50 per domestic flight one way
- USD USD 99.50 per one-way international flight
United Airlines Terms and Conditions 24-Hour Cancellations
- United Airlines cancellation policies apply to ticket reservations made through the airline’s website, the United Reservations Desk or a United Customer Service number.
- A 24-hour window applies at the time of booking.
- You will get your refund in the original payment method.
- United Airlines flight cancellation policy does not apply to United booked fares.
- United Airlines’ 24-hour cancellation also applies to all Basic Economy fares unless cancellation is within 24 hours if the travel date is more than seven days from the date of purchase.
- A $200 cancellation fee applies for refundable fares after 24 hours.
- 24 hours starts with ticket number generation
- Refund requests will process using the original form of payment, except for flight reservations made with a United gift card.
- All PNRs with more than nine passengers are exempt from cancellation for 24 hours. It will be a group contract.
- United Airlines cancellation policy states that tickets purchased with electronic certificates are not eligible.
- United’s 24-hour cancellation policy does not cover pending reservations that have yet to be purchased.
- Passengers can also request a flight change with United Airlines within 24 hours of purchase. Fare differences may apply.
How does United Airways Free Cancellation work?
United 24-hour cancellation policy allows for a full refund for a ticket cancelled within 24 hours of purchase if you make the reservation at least seven days before travel. It applies to all types of bookings, including Basic Economy tickets. If you cancel your ticket within 24 hours, you will get a refund to the original payment method.
If you booked with a united gift certificate, your refund would process as an electronic travel certificate. Tickets booked with electronic certificates are non-refundable. Reservation fees are non-refundable for reservations placed on hold with fare lock.
United Airlines Cancellation Policy Due to Death, Illness
United Airlines ticket cancellation policy allows full refunds in the event of death, certain types of illness and jury duty. This policy covers all tickets, including cash, credit card, check, reward tickets, promotional fares, bulk fares and net fares.
United Airlines Cancellation Policy For Economy Class
United’s cancellation policy states that Basic Economy tickets are non-refundable. Unless you cancel them within 24 hours and purchase at least one week before departure.
United Airlines Cancellation Policy For Refundable Tickets
United Airlines does not charge cancellation fees for refundable tickets. However, if you change to a more expensive ticket, you will have to pay the difference. If you update to a cheaper option, the fare difference will be refunded to your original payment method or converted to flight credits for future use, depending on the fare conditions of your ticket.
United Airways Cancellation Policy for Non-Refundable Tickets
If you cancel a non-refundable ticket more than 24 hours after purchase, you must pay a cancellation fee of USD 200 for domestic flights and up to USD 400 for international flights, depending on your boarding class.
United Airlines flight cancellation policy states that, after deducting cancellation fees, you can use the new value of the tickets for future travel under the following conditions:
- The flight commences within one year from the date of issue of the original ticket.
- You cancel your original ticket before the departure of your first flight.
You get the refund of Non-refundable tickets can only in the following cases:
- The Passenger or Passenger dies
- The Passenger receives a military/jury order
- You must be able to provide supporting documentation proving the reason for the cancellation.
United Airlines Cancellation Fee
United Airlines will not charge a cancellation fee if the cancellation is due to COVID-19 travel restrictions. Apart from that, airlines always charge cancellation fees unless otherwise stated.
The Basic Economy flight class is non-refundable.
For all Non-refundable travel classes, United Airlines will charge USD200 for Domestic and USD 400 for International flights.
For all Refundable travel classes, United Airlines will charge USD 200 for Domestic and USD 400 for International flights.
How to Cancel United Airlines Flight?
- Visit United.com or you can call to +1-800-504-6979.
- Select “My Trips.”
- Enter your “Flight number” and “Last name.”
- Select the itinerary you want to manage
- Select Flight cancellation options
- You will receive a flight cancellation confirmation email.
United Airlines Cancellation Fee for Award Tickets
- If you make your cancellation at least 31 days before departure, United Airlines will not charge any cancellation fee.
- If you make your cancellation before 0 – 30 days of departure, the United Airlines cancellation fee will be:
- General members have to pay USD 125 as a cancellation fee.
- Silver members have to pay USD 100 as a cancellation fee.
- Gold members have to pay USD 75 as a cancellation fee.
- Premier Platinum members have to pay USD 50 as a cancellation fee.
- Premier 1K members do not have to pay any cancellation fee.
- The cancellation fee for a No-Show is USD 125.
- The same-day change fee for award tickets is USD 75 for Silver and general members. Gold, Platinum, and 1K members do not have to pay a cancellation fee.
United Airlines Cancellation Refund
Once you cancel your flight ticket, how do you get a refund? We will help you with that. Follow these steps to check the status of your refund.
- Visit the refunds page.
- Click on the “Check status” tab.
- Enter your “Last name,” “Ticket Number,” or “Tracking number.”
- Click on the “Check Status” button.
United Airlines Refund Policy
- If you purchase your tickets at least one week before departure and cancel them within 24 hours of purchase, you will receive a full refund without penalty.
- Basic Economy tickets are refundable within 24 hours. You must purchase your ticket at least seven days before departure and cancel within 24 hours of purchase.
- You can cancel the eligible tickets by phone. Alternatively, you can request a refund online through My Trips.
- Cancellation charges depend on the fare rules of the ticket.
- Non-refundable fares may not be eligible for voluntary refunds, but you can convert the value of the ticket into future flight credits.
- Tickets are valid for 12 months from their issue date.
- Redemption amounts will vary depending on several factors. Refunds for partially used tickets will be pro-rated according to ticket and flight segment rules. Additional charges applied to your ticket will only be refunded where regulations permit.
- Refunds for credit card purchases will process within seven business days of the request. All other refunds will process within 20 business days of the request.
United will do its best to minimize the impact on your travel plans. You can request a full refund if your scheduled arrival or departure time has changed so significantly that your new flight option doesn’t work for you.
How to Get a Refund for a Cancelled Flight
After you cancel your flight, you can request a refund by following these steps:
- Please complete the United Airlines Refund Form.
- United Airlines will let you know of your eligibility for a refund.
- The refund amount depends on the fare type and the reason for the flight cancellation.
- Sometimes, you will receive a refund in your original payment method, or you will receive flight credits.
How to Avoid Cancellation Fees on United Airlines
- You can avoid cancellation fees on United Airlines if you purchase a fully refundable plan.
- Cancel within 24 hours grace period. If you book your ticket at least seven days before departure and cancel within 24 hours, you can cancel your ticket without penalty. However, they are not eligible if you purchase group tickets with electronic certificates.
- If your flight is delayed by more than 6 hours, you are eligible for a refund in the form of travel credits.
- If your flight cancels due to low demand, weather or other problems, you may be entitled to a full refund of your ticket.
- Try to achieve elite status. Premier Gold customers and above can cancel award tickets anytime before departure.
United Airlines Cancellation Compensation
According to United cancellation policy, passengers are entitled to compensation if their flight is delayed, cancelled or denied boarding. The availability of compensation depends on several factors, including
- The length of the delay
- The outbound and inbound flights
- The cause of the delay
Compensation due to the length of delay-
New Flight Arrival Time
Compensation (in USD)
Within 1 hour of original arrival
Between 1 and 3 hours after original arrival
More than 3 hours after original arrival
Compensation due denial of boarding-
Compensation (in USD)
Less than 1,500 km
Between 1500 km and 3500 km
Greater than 3500 Km
Compensation due to flight cancellation-
Compensation (in USD)
Less than 1,500 km
Between 1500 km and 3500 km
Greater than 3500 Km
Get Support With Flights Assistance
If you need any related issues regarding United Airlines you can call us at +1-800-504-6979. United Airlines Customer Service helps to resolve the issues from the comfort of your homes. The most convenient is to connect with flightsassistance.com. We will make sure of your comfort with United Airlines. Type on google www.flightsassistance.com. Or you can contact email@example.com.
1. How to cancel my United Airways flight?
There are two ways to cancel United Airlines: by phone and online. If you purchased your ticket directly from United Airlines, you could cancel your flight online by phone or through the My Trips tab on the homepage. If you purchased through a travel agent (online or by phone), you must contact the agent directly to process United Airlines cancellations.
2. Can I cancel my flight and get a refund from United Airlines?
You can get a full refund only if your ticket purchase is eligible under United Airways Cancellation Policy.
3. Can you cancel a plane ticket and get a full refund?
Full refund tickets are costlier, but you can cancel them without penalty. After you cancel your ticket, you will receive a refund for your original form of payment.
4. Is it better to cancel or change a flight?
If you have booked a return flight and need to change the first leg to another date, it is best to pay the change fee and book a new flight. However, if you only need to rebook for a round trip, booking a new one-way ticket may be cheaper than paying a cancellation fee.
For more queries, you can contact the customer service executive at +1-800-504-6979. of United Airlines by visiting Help Center. or
You can visit www.flightsassistance.com for more flight-related queries.