WestJet Cancellation Policy: WestJet Airlines has loosened its cancellation restrictions in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and destination-specific cautions. Please use the information below to determine which WestJet Cancellation Policy apply to you.
For travel scheduled between March 3, 2020, and July 5, 2022, flights impacted by COVID-19 are subject to the following cancellation policies:
- Free Cancellation with Fee Waiver: If you want to cancel any flight you have booked within the allotted time, you can do it without paying anything as long as you do it at least 24 hours before the scheduled departure. There is a one-time modification/cancellation fee waiver in effect.
- Limitation on Basic Fare Tickets: Please note that after June 22, 2022, primary fare tickets cannot be cancelled.
- Refund Procedures: If your flight is canceled, you will receive a Travel Bank Credit in lieu of a refund. A portion of the fare paid in WestJet Dollars will be credited to your account according to the original expiration date.
- Option to alter: You also have the option to change your flight, but you will need to cover any difference in the ticket.
- Average cost for Last-Minute Changes: Please be advised that the standard cancellation or change cost will be charged if you decide to alter or cancel your flight less than 24 hours before departure.
- Tickets Bought via Agents or Other Airlines: To begin the cancellation procedure, please get in touch with the travel agency or airline directly if you purchased your ticket via them.
There are special cancelation regulations in effect for flights operated by WestJet Airlines in relation to travel advisories.
WestJet Cancellation Policy due to the COVID-19 pandemic
If a travel alert affects your flight due to airport closures, inclement weather, or an outbreak unrelated to COVID-19, you have the following options until normal flight operations resume:
- Option for Cancellation and Refund: You are free to cancel your flight or travel and get a refund if you follow the procedures that match the fare type you initially purchased.
- No-cost Date Modification: If you choose to change your trip dates, you can do so free of charge as long as you remain at the same destination. Fare discrepancies won’t be applied, although there might be blackout dates.
- Change of Destination Option: You have the option to modify your itinerary both with and without changing the dates of your flights.
- Nearby Airport Exception: You won’t have to pay the cost difference if you fly to a nearby airport instead of Vancouver (YVR), such as Abbotsford (YXX).
- Distant Airport Consideration: You will be responsible for the ticket difference if you choose to go to an airport far away.
Guidelines for Refunds on Reduced Fare:
- The refund policies relevant to your fare type will be applied if your new fare is less than your original fare.
- Furthermore, WestJet’s cancellation policy differs according to the window of time in which the cancellation is sought:
WestJet’s 24-hour cancellation policy:
- Cancellations are subject to this policy within 24 hours of making a reservation.
- As long as the reservation is made at least 24 hours before departure, you can cancel a flight within 24 hours of making it without being charged a fee.
- However, the standard cancellation policies and costs will apply if the flight leaves within 24 hours of the reservation.
WestJet’s 24-hour cancellation policy:
- Basic fares do not qualify for any Travel Credits and cannot be cancelled after 24 hours after booking. Cancellation fees may apply to other fare categories.
- All routes’ BusinessFlex and PremiumFlex tickets and domestic EconoFlex fares (within Canada) are cancelable without penalty.
- You are eligible for a complete refund in accordance with WestJet Cancellation Policy for Cancelled or Rescheduled Flights in the following situations:
- Cancellation of Flight: You are entitled to a complete refund in the event that your WestJet flight is cancelled.
- Postponing More Than 90 Minutes: Should your WestJet flight be rescheduled and the new time slot take longer than ninety minutes, you will be entitled to a complete reimbursement.
- Including Stops in the Original Schedule:
- You are entitled to a complete refund if your WestJet flight’s original itinerary is changed to include one or more stops.
- Additionally, WestJet Cancellation Policy considers compassionate circumstances and cancellation fees may be waived in the following situations:
- Demise of a Member of the Close Family: In the terrible event that a member of your immediate family passes away, WestJet may forgive your cancellation fees.
- Severe Illness: If you are unable to travel due to a severe illness, WestJet may also waive cancellation fees.
- Military Directives: If your travel plans are affected by military orders, WestJet might waive your cancellation fees.
These factors show WestJet’s willingness to be accommodating and understanding when handling unanticipated events that might require adjustments to your travel plans.
WestJet Cancellation Policy by Fare Type
The following details WestJet Cancellation Policy for different ticket classes, highlighting the terms and circumstances specific to each category:
1) Terms of Cancellation for Basic Tickets:
WestJet limits basic ticket cancellations to 24 hours after purchase. In particular, basic fare tickets are refundable only if the purchase is completed at least 24 hours before the scheduled departure time and if canceled within 24 hours of purchase.
2) Policies Regarding Economy Ticket Cancellations:
Economy tickets can only be cancelled after the first 24-hour window. There may be a price involved, depending on the route and if the cancellation is made more than 60 days in advance of travel or less than 60 days before departure. Please refer to the “WestJet Cancellation Fees” section for specific cancellation charges information.
3) Policies Regarding Econo Flex Ticket Cancellations:
No matter when the cancellation occurs, Econo Flex tickets include free cancellations for domestic flights inside Canada. For all other routes, cancellations made within 60 days before departure or more than 60 days in advance will be charged a cancellation fee. For more information on charges, see the section entitled “WestJet Cancellation Fees.”
4) Policy on Cancellations for Premium Tickets:
Premium tickets are subject to a cancellation fee. However, there are no cancellation fees for PremiumFlex tickets. Standard cancellation fees for premium tickets vary depending on the route selected. In the event of a cancellation – whether it occurs more than 60 days before departure or less than 60 days before departure. See the section headed “WestJet Cancellation Fees” for comprehensive information on cancellation charges.
5) Terms of Cancellation for Business Tickets:
There may be cancellation penalties for business tickets, with the exception of BusinessFlex tickets, depending on the route and the time of the cancellation. On the other hand, BusinessFlex tickets are cancelable without incurring costs. See the section on WestJet Cancellation Fees to learn about cancellation charges for regular Business tickets.
6) Policy for Award Ticket Cancellations:
Unlike other incentive programs that rely on mileage accumulation, WestJet’s award program offers refunds that are directly placed into your WestJet Travel Bank. Later on, this money might be used to pay for other flights. The kind of ticket booked using Travel Bank funds, the flight path, and the departure time affect the award ticket cancellation charge.
WestJet Cancellation Fees
The following regulations apply to WestJet’s cancellation charge, which is dependent on various criteria like the kind of ticket, fare restrictions, and the timing of the cancellation.
- No-cost cancellation window: Within 24 hours of booking, every kind of airline ticket can be cancelled without being charged a cost. This is applicable if, at the time of booking, the scheduled departure time is more than 24 hours later.
- Exemption for PremiumFlex and BusinessFlex Fare: There are no cancellation fees associated with PremiumFlex and BusinessFlex fares so that you can cancel them for free on any route. The original method of payment is credited with refunds for these fares.
- Conditions for Econo Flex Fare: Free cancellations are available for Econo Flex tickets, but only for domestic flights.
- Application for Cancellation Fee: Depending on the destination, a separate cancellation fee is charged:
The cost is charged per flight, per direction, and per passenger on all other (non-European) itineraries.
- Cancellation Deadline: All fares (except base fares) may be changed or canceled free of charge at any time up to 2 hours prior to departure.
- No-show policy: If you do not cancel before departure, your flight will be marked as a no-show.
|Econo Flex Fares
|At least 60 days before departure
|Canada 🡨🡪 Other Destinations (excl. Europe)
|USD 50-59 / CAD
|Canada 🡨🡪 Europe
|Within 60 days of departure
|Canada 🡨🡪 Other Destinations (excl. Europe)
|Canada 🡨🡪 Europe
WestJet No-Show Policy
If you need to cancel, you can do so up to two hours prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time. However, if you do not check-in, board, or make a change request by the posted deadline before departure on the same day, your reservation will be marked as a “no-show.” In this situation, you will lose your entire travel expense. The remaining amount will be refunded or credited according to the ticket’s original fare terms.
WestJet Flight Cancellation Compensation
In the event that airline cancellations or delays create disruptions to your travel plans, you may be eligible for compensation depending on how long the delay lasted. This compensation is subject to the following conditions and is calculated in accordance with the standards of the Air Passenger Protection Ordinance:
- Flight Operation by WestJet: You are eligible for compensation if you travel to, from, or within Canada on a WestJet flight.
- Notification of Cancellation or Delay: You must have been notified of the delay or cancellation of your flight within 14 days of the scheduled departure in order to be eligible for reimbursement.
- Receipt for Refund and Request for Compensation: You are entitled to reimbursement for the inconvenience caused by the disruption, even if you have been refunded for the postponed or cancelled flight.
- Reasons within Control for Postponement or Cancellation: If WestJet was the cause of the cancellation or delay of your flight, you are entitled to compensation.
These terms, in line with the Air Passengers Protection Regulations, set up a system for assessing and compensating travellers who have annoyances due to flight delays.
|Length of Delay
|3 – 6 hours
|6 – 9 hours
How to Cancel Your WestJet Flight
You have a few choices when it comes to cancelling your WestJet flight:
- Through Phone: You can use a phone call: +1-866-217-1292 to the WestJet office in your country to cancel your flight.
- Through Manage Trips Online: You can easily cancel your flight online by visiting the Manage Trips area of the WestJet website if you bought your ticket straight from the airline.
- Through the Travel Agency: Alternatively, you can start the cancellation procedure by contacting the travel agency directly if you bought your ticket through them.
Thanks to the variety of alternatives available, you may select the most practical way to cancel your WestJet flight based on your preferences and situation.
WestJet Flight Cancellation (Online)
To initiate the cancellation of your flight booking through the online platform, follow these steps:
- Visit WestJet.com: Access the WestJet website by navigating to WestJet.com.
- Select Manage Trips: Once on the website, choose the “Manage Trips” option.
- Dropdown box appearance: A dropdown box appears on the screen.
- Click on Manage Flights: Within the dropdown options, click on “Manage Flights.”
- Enter Trip Details: To locate your trip, enter the required details: Reservation code, Last name
- Click on Search: Click the “Search” button to proceed.
- Select and Cancel Flight: Identify your specific flight and proceed to cancel it.
Once the cancellation method is complete, a affirmation e mail can be despatched to the e-mail deal with you furnished on the time of booking. Depending at the fare kind related to your reservation, the stability much less cancellation costs can be credited for your WestJet Travel Bank or refunded for your authentic price method. WestJet’s web platform makes handling flight cancellations clear and easy thanks to this streamlined process.
For more details, please get in touch with FlightAssistance.com. If you have questions about your flight schedule, need help making changes to your reservation, or would like to learn more about your specific travel requirements, the dedicated staff at Flightsassistance.com offers comprehensive support. Speak with their experienced staff to guarantee a seamless and well-informed travel experience.