Frontier Airlines Baggage Policy will charge you for your carry-on and checked luggage. You may, however, bring one complimentary personal carry-on item. You will be assessed a baggage fee if your bag is larger than the allowed size unless you have purchased the PERKS or WORKS bundle or are a Frontier Miles Elite member.
Call Customer Support: +1-800-504-6979
An Overview of Frontier Airlines Baggage Policy
The following are the key points of Frontier Airlines’ baggage information:
- You will pay fewer baggage fees when you buy your carry-on or checked baggage allowance.
- Oversized and overweight baggage fees apply to checked bags that are longer than 62 inches (157.4 cm) and weigh more than 40 pounds (18.1 kg).
- Bags that total more than 110 inches (279 cm) in length or 110 pounds (46 kilograms; 70 pounds for Canada) in weight won’t be allowed.
- Carry-on luggage cannot be larger than 10 inches deep, 16 inches wide, 24 inches high, or weigh more than 35 pounds (15.8 kilograms). It should also fit in the cabin baggage compartment assigned to you (overhead bin or under the front seat).
Some More Points
- The personal carry-on bag cannot be wider than 18 inches, more profound than 8 inches, or taller than 14 inches.
- For domestic flights, all bags must always be checked 45 minutes before takeoff, and for international flights, 60 minutes before launch.
- It is free to transport child restraint systems, strollers, wheelchairs, crutches, and other assistive items (if used).
- There is no restriction on the number of mobility aids a traveller may check-in, but they must be adequately packaged securely to qualify for the baggage fees to be waived.
- One carry-on bag and one checked bag are complimentary for passengers who have purchased the WORKS or PERKS packages or certain Frontier Miles Elite members.
- Reservists travelling on orders, active duty service members, and individuals travelling in uniform are all entitled to two free baggage, with the first two bags being exempt from overweight and oversize fees.
- Standard baggage fees can be paid online, over the phone, or at the airport; however, overweight and oversized luggage fees, each charged individually, can only be paid there.
- Frontier Airlines charges a baggage fee for each journey so round-trip travel will cost twice as much.
Does Frontier Airlines charge for baggage?
The following goods are allowed as checked luggage on Frontier Airlines, either for free or a fee as per Frontier Airlines Baggage Policy:
|You can carry the following baggage items||The following will incur a baggage fee|
|One personal item for carry-on Children’s stroller, car seat, and diaper bag assistive technology/mobility tools||1 Carry-on Bag — Paid, Depending on Fees Paid, subject to any relevant costs; checked bags paid, subject to any applicable fees; sports equipment spent for musical instruments, plus any relevant fees.|
|Exception. You can bring one carry-on bag and one checked bag for free if you have the WORKS or PERKS bundle, are a Frontier Miles Elite member, or have purchased these bundles.|
Frontier Airlines Baggage Rules—Carry-on Baggage
Unless you have bought the PERKS or WORKS bundle or have Frontier Miles Elite status, you must pay for your carry-on baggage, according to the baggage policy of Frontier Airlines. The luggage policies of Frontier Airlines permit each traveler to bring one free personal item, such as a purse, laptop bag or small briefcase.
Carry-on Baggage Guidelines
The followings are the dimensions and requirements for baggage on Frontier Airlines:
- One Complimentary personal carry-on item, such as a handbag, backpack, or laptop bag
- Maximum size: 36 x 46 x 20 cm (14 x 18 x 8 inches) (height x width x depth)
- Under your front seat, the maximum weight must fit.
- Backpacks, small duffel bags, or suitcases count as 1 PAID carry-on bag (included in the WORKS and PERKS bundles)
- Size limit: 61 x 41 x 25 cm (or 24 x 16 x 10 in) (height x width x depth)
- Weight limit 35lb/15.88kg
- It must fit in your overhead storage or behind your front seat.
- The bag size is affected by handles, wheels, and straps.
- Members of Frontier Miles (Elite 20k and 50k) are entitled to one Complimentary carry-on bag per person.
- A Complimentary carry-on bag is also available to travellers who have purchased the WORKS or PERKS bundle.
- If your carry-on bag is larger or heavier than what is allowed, there will be an additional charge.
Frontier Airlines Carry-on Baggage Fees
Your course, fare type, method of purchase (online or offline), and the time you buy your ticket all affect the cost of carry-on baggage with Frontier Airlines. While making Frontier Airline reservation, the baggage fees are the lowest; they rise over time.
|Frontier Airlines Baggage Fee Details—Carry-on Bags|
|Mode and Time of Purchase||Carry-on Baggage Fee|
|Online—when booking||USD 37–39|
|Online—up to 24 hours before departure||USD 40–42|
|During check-in—online/mobile||USD 43|
|By phone (call centre)||USD 53–55|
|Airport kiosk/counter check-in||USD 55|
|Airport Gate||USD 60|
|Note: According to Frontier Airlines Baggage Policy, you are allowed to bring a free carry-on bag if you reserve The Works bundle. If you have more carry-on luggage than allowed when you get to the departure gate, it will be checked in as hold luggage and cost more money. Refunds for baggage fees are not available (unless your flight is cancelled).|
Frontier Airlines Baggage Rules—Checked Baggage
The checked luggage policy of Frontier Airlines states that different rates depending on the route, the time, and the platform (online/offline/phone). Therefore, all tickets purchased on Frontier Airlines are subject to a baggage cost, except bundles containing WORKS and PERKS and travellers with Elite membership status on Frontier Miles.
While purchasing, after booking (website/mobile app/phone), when checking in online within 24 hours of your departure date, at the airport kiosk/check-in counter, or the departure gate are all ways to pay for your checked baggage (costliest).
Size/Weight Restrictions for Baggage. A bag’s maximum weight and combined length, width, and height cannot be greater than 62 inches (157.4 cm) and 40 pounds (18.1 kg), respectively. An overweight and oversized baggage fee will apply to bags exceeding the size and weight restrictions.
You must check your bags for a domestic trip at least 45 minutes before takeoff and for an international flight at least 60 minutes prior to launch.
Restrictions Apply To All Checked Bags
The following restrictions apply to all checked bags according to Frontier Airlines baggage policy:
- One paid checked bag is permitted (included in the WORKS and PERKS bundles)
- Maximum size (length + width + depth) 62 in/157.4 cm
- Weight limit: 40 lbs/18.1 kg
- FREE Exceptional Children’s Goods
- Car seat and stroller
- sling bag
- SPECIAL PACKAGES Items
- Subject to overweight and checked luggage costs, but not oversize fees.
- It applies to Golf equipment, Skis, and Snowboards.
- Subject to surcharges for checked baggage, excess weight, and size.
- Regarding other athletic equipment, such as fishing, bowling, archery, hang gliding, lacrosse, hockey, kayaking, paintballing, scuba equipment, surfboards, windsurfers, parachutes, etc.
- Musical apparatuses
Other baggage regulations include the following:
- It consists of a handle, wheels, and straps in the bag size.
- A Complimentary carry-on bag is available to Elite 20k and 50k Frontier Miles members.
- Members of Elite 100k and Bundles fares (WORKS and PERKS) are eligible for
- 1 FREE checked bag
- ONE check bag FREE
- Except for musical instruments and assistance devices, bags weighing 100lb (45kg) or more or having combined dimensions more significant than 110in won’t be permitted.
Additional Items Allowed on Board
All travellers are permitted to bring any ONE of the following things Gratis in addition to their free personal carry-on item, per Frontier Airlines baggage policy regulations:
- Jacket and coat
- Sling bag (for infants)
- Wheelchairs, canes, crutches, respiratory equipment, portable oxygen concentrators (POCs), etc., are assistive devices.
- Prayer mat for the feet
Frontier Airlines Checked Baggage Fees
The cost of checked luggage on Frontier Airlines is influenced by several variables, including your route, price class, frequent flyer status, status as an active U.S. military member or dependant, status with an affiliate carrier, and if you have a Frontier-sponsored credit/charge card.
Baggage calculator for Frontier Airlines advises utilizing their online bag price checker to determine the precise luggage fee. According to our research, the following is a rough estimate of the one-way baggage charges for checked luggage on domestic as well as international flights:
Frontier Airlines Baggage Fee Details—Checked Bags
|Mode and Time of Purchase||Standard Checked Baggage Fees(up to 40lb/18.1kg)|
|Bag #1||#2||Bag #3+|
|Online—when booking||USD 32–37||34–50||USD 85|
|Online—up to 24 hours before departure||USD 38–45||45–50||USD 85|
|By phone (call center)||USD 55||55||USD 90|
|During check-in—online/mobile||USD 40–46||55||USD 95|
|Airport kiosk/check-in counter||USD 50||55|
|Note: One carry-on bag and one checked bag are included in the WORKS and PERKS bundles for each traveller (in addition to 1 free personal carry-on item). Military members who are on active service are permitted to carry: One free personal item 1 FREE checked bag FREE TWO CHECKED BAGS Oversize and overweight baggage charges do not apply for the first two checked bags for active military service personnel (only). Refunds for baggage fees are not available unless your flight is cancelled.|
Frontier Airlines Baggage Fees—Excess Baggage
|Overweight Baggage Fees (per bag per direction)|
|41 – 50lb||USD 50|
|51 – 100lb||USD 100|
|> 100lb (> 70lb for Canada)||Not accepted|
Oversized Baggage Fee (per bag per direction)
|63 – 110in||USD 75|
Frontier Airlines Baggage Fees for Overweight Bags
The luggage regulations of Frontier Airlines state:
- Your checked bag is oversized if it weighs between 41 and 100 lbs (18.1-45 kg).
- You will be charged USD 50 if your checked bag weighs 41 and 50 lb.
- If your bag weighs 51 to 100 pounds, it will cost USD100.
- Your checked bag will only be accepted if it weighs 100lb/45kg (70lb for Canada).
Frontier Airlines Baggage Fees for Oversize Bags
According to Frontier Airlines’s luggage policy:
- Your checked bag is oversized if its dimensions are over 110 inches (279 centimetres) or between 62 and 110 inches (157.4 to 279 centimetres).
- You will be charged USD 75 in oversized baggage costs if your checked luggage is oversize.
Frontier Airlines Baggage Allowance for Lap Infants
Suppose you are travelling with a lap infant (a child between 7 days and under two years). In that case, you can bring an additional personal item (such as a diaper bag), a foldable stroller and a car seat, all provided at no extra cost.
How to Reduce Baggage Cost on Frontier Airlines?
Due to Frontier Airlines’ business nature, it can be challenging to avoid paying baggage fees. However, there are some methods to cut costs.
1. Pay in advance for your luggage:
Booking your luggage when booking your flight is the simplest way to lower your baggage fees with Frontier Airlines. Frontier shows on its site that reserving your luggage in advance will save costs. Compared to booking a bag at the gate, booking one at checkout could keep you up to USD30.
2. Purchase a Bundle Fare:
Depending on the Bundle you select when purchasing or upgrading, a carry-on or checked bag will be included. Carry-on and checked bags, priority boarding, flexible travel options, 100% refundability, and seat selection are all included in the Works bundle (available only after initial purchase).
A carry-on bag, a checked bag, and a seat choice are all included in the Perks bundle (you can upgrade to it later), but there is no flight flexibility and no refund.
3. To receive your refund for the cost of checked luggage, use one of these credit cards:
- Credit card with Capital One VentureOne Rewards. The card has no annual charge and gives you 20,000 bonus miles after spending USD500 in the first three months. Your miles can cover any travel-related expenses, such as baggage charges.
- Credit card with Capital One Venture Rewards. If you use this card for the first three months and spend USD 4,000, you’ll receive a 75,000-mile bonus. You can transfer your miles to more than 15 reward programmes if you’d like to use them to offset baggage fees or make other travel expenditures.
- Credit card with Capital One Venture X Points. Also, for spending USD 4,000 within the first three months of account setup, this card offers a 75,000-mile bonus. Also, if you make your reservation through Capital One Travel, you’ll receive up to USD 300 in statement credits and, when your first year is up, 10,000 additional miles worth USD 100 each year.
4. Utilize your military affiliation:
You can bring one carry-on bag and two checked baggage for no additional cost on any Frontier Airlines flight if you are a member of the armed forces and have current military identification. However, remember that this programme only benefits active-duty military personnel; it does not apply to their families or travelling companions.
How to Check Baggage Prices on Frontier Airlines?
There are numerous ways to check the luggage fees for Frontier Airlines:
- Online by visiting the official website flyfrontier.com.
- Using the baggage price checker on a new or existing journey
- through My Travel/Check-in or Manage Trip (after the booking)
- Phone number
- Through Mobile App
- At the airport
Frontier Airlines Sports Equipment Policy
According to Frontier Airlines’ regulations on sporting goods:
- You can bring your sporting goods as carry-on or checked luggage, subject to the regular baggage fees that apply to your fare. Standard baggage rules apply.
- If your sporting equipment surpasses the size and weight limits, oversize and overweight baggage penalties will be charged.
- For bicycles, the sports baggage cost is USD75, and for antlers, it is USD100.
- Sports equipment such as skis, snowboards, and hockey equipment are exempt from oversize baggage fees; however, checked luggage and overweight fees still apply. Boot bags for skis and snowboards weighing more than 25 pounds will be considered a second bag and require payment.
- All sporting goods must be transported in protective packaging made just for them.
You may bring the following sporting goods on Frontier Airlines:
- Bows and arrows
- Tennis rackets
- Fencing equipment
- Bike balls and ball pumps
- Bowling balls and shoes
- Camping equipment
- Sleeping bags
- Fishing equipment
- Landing nets
- Fishing boots
- Knee defenders
- Kayak and canoe
- Breastplates/cup protectors
- Golf equipment
- 1 bag incl. golf clubs and shoes
- Hang gliding equipment
- Hockey equipment
- BB guns
- Compressed air guns
- Paintball guns
- Lacrosse equipment
- Paintball equipment
- Scuba gears
- Windsurfing equipment
On a regular or basic ticket, Frontier Airlines allows you to bring one personal carry-on item free of charge in the cabin, but both carry-on and checked bags are subject to a surcharge. The sooner you acquire your baggage limit, the less you’ll spend because baggage prices rise over time. You can save up to 50% if you pay for baggage when you purchase your ticket.
Standard baggage can be paid for online, over the phone, or at the airport; however, overweight and oversized baggage can only be paid for there. Also, remember that the luggage costs Frontier Airlines charges are non-refundable (unless your flight is cancelled).
Frontier Airlines requires you to pay for your carry-on luggage if you’ve booked a regular or basic fare. You must, however, pay a baggage tax, buy the WORKS or PERKS bundle, or be a Frontier Miles Elite member if you wish to bring a carry-on bag.
Depending on when, how, and which itinerary you buy your baggage limit, Frontier Airlines’ baggage costs for your initial carry-on bag typically range from USD 37 to USD 60. The cost of the checked luggage can be between USD 37 and USD 39 if you buy online at the time of booking. The price can be between USD 40 and USD 42 if you pay up to 24 hours before departure, roughly USD 55 at the airport kiosk or check-in counter, and USD 60 at the departure gate.
Nevertheless, you can check one free carry-on bag if you are a Frontier Miles Elite member or have purchased the WORKS or PERKS bundle.